Saturday, January 28, 2012

MeiMei Burton Celebrates Chinese New Year

To all my Facebook friends, I want to let you know that I can recieve emails, I just can't send them back. So, I will be sending out a few letters today.

Life in Taiwan is going really really good. We are teaching a lot of people and they are all super prepared to learn the gospel. That's somethings I'm very grateful for. Even though my Chinese is really bad I think they all know that I'm trying and they appreciate it.

I feel super blessed to have such a wonderful companion. If I had anyone else I'm sure I would be a lot worse off. This week we started riding bikes and guess what color I painted it! Bright ORANGE!!! It's actually quite hilarious ot see. My companion and I still laugh everytime we come around the corner and see it. But anyways, the first day was really good but the next day was a challenge. My bum was so stinkin sore! But now I'm all good. We actually had to bike in the rain last night. It was super cold and super wet and my hands haven't been that cold in well over 8 months. Haha It seriously reminded me of Rexburg. But there are so many cars and scooters here you have to be pretty careful or you could get doored (this is the act of running into an open door) but thankfully that has yet to happen.

This week started with not understanding the language. I ting bu donged (didn't understand) anything going on around me and then it only got worse as the days followed. But I'm pretty ok now. I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father was just telling me to be humble.

Last p-day we all went out to this moutain in our area and went hiking. Now in America, hiking is litteraly following a trail and walking up a hill. I was stupid to think that it meant the same thing in Taiwan. Here it means steps....lots and lots of steps! I was shocked! I have included pictures of the this! But also the view at the tope of the hike was beautiful. It just overlooks the city and you can really see how big it is.   Here's a fun little side note about Taiwan. back in the old day they used to bury their dead on the side of hills. Hint why I included a picture that looks like their are houses on the side of a hill..nope! those are graves!

Now, on to the main dish of everything that is going on. Literally there is so much food! It acutally makes me a little sick just thinking about it. You name it, people eat it. I have included pictures. It's pretty crazy! But Chinese new year out here is like Thanksgiving for us. Only everyday for a week and for lunch and dinner they prepare these HUGE meals and the missionaries are kind of expected to eat most of it. I love that the people are so caring but my stomach is in no shape to be able to down all of this food. Now your question may be...Tiffany, what have you eaten so far? Oh! Let me tell you! Last night I had octopus and some really big shrimp (which I actually hate with a passion) and You guessed it! A fish eye! The culture out here thinks that the fish eye is the healthiest part of the fish so they give it to their guests. Yep! Me and another Elder got one but the guy chickened out! I ate mine though. Dad would be so proud! But yes, they love their crazy food out here. One night my companion was sitting next to me and ate duck feet. I had chicken feet the day before and it wasn't too bad. A bit to boney for my taste but it actually isn't too bad!
Last thing for you today! Saturday we did temple tours and It was so much fun. We spent all day on the temple grounds and then tracting and getting people to come and take tours and it was a really great experice. Most people don't realize how awesome the temple ground is for giving tours. But it works wonders. Best part is while teaching I almost got the words death and hope mixed up. Two very different words...but in Chinese they are really similar. One is siwang and the is xiwang. Yeah, if you could hear it you would know how crazy it is. Anyways, thats all I have now from the life of this missionary. Love you all!

Love, Tiffany




1 comment: